Saturday 9 February 2008

Huh? Did You Just Say Pepsi was the Official Drink Sponsor for MTN Ghana 2008?



Well I thought Coca-Cola was! I honestly didn’t know this until a colleague pointed it out to me at work. I had just drunk a bottle of coke, I shook my body and my lips went, “Bbbbrrrrrrrrrr!!!” A lot of Ghanaians and football fans had fun and are still having fan with this latest catchphrase by Coca-Cola.

Just before and during the first half of the CAN 2008 tournament Coca-Cola heavily advertised their new diet coke, Coke Delight and football related advertisements. Pepsi did too, but the “Bbbrrrrrrr” TV advertisements caught on so well with the public. Thus I had assumed all along that Coca-Cola was an official co-sponsor of the MTN Ghana 2008, after all they were one of the sponsors of the World Cup 2006. And I was terribly wrong. Then I began to take note of the sparse Pepsi TV ads and billboards in town competing with Coca-Cola. I couldn’t identify with the white model-singer in one of the Pepsi ads- is she African? - (yeah not all Africans are black!) Who is she? I looked forward to a more exciting television ad that would counteract the ads of their long-time competitors, but didn't get much.

Ooh well, we thank Pepsi for co-sponsoring the tournament and wish their marketing team better strategies in the rest of 2008. Coca-Cola, I say, do it again! Bbbrrrrrrrrrr!!!

No comments: