Thursday 28 February 2008

Rejoice in the LORD always


Rejoice in the LORD always.

Oftentimes, I read this and I give an inward shout, Yey!-thinking that I’m rejoicing in the LORD. Sometimes, I think the outward expression really is what matters, so I jump, shout or clap. Somebody observing me in those moments might think, “Akofa is joyful.” Well, there have been times that I’ve been really joyful. And other times, it was all pretence and only God knew it. I think some of the pretending moments have been in big-church related gatherings where the MC will try to stir up the large gathering to “Give a Mighty Shout onto the LORD! … You can do it better for the LORD!” Frankly speaking, there were times I really didn’t feel like it and didn’t know why I had to join the rousing crowd… but I did it anyway.

In today’s window time, I learnt this: Rejoice in the LORD. Erm... I believe you’ve already mentioned that, so what’s new? You say. No, read well… Rejoice in the LORD. There is a focal dimension here. One is not just rejoicing for the sake of it, but taking delight in the Person of God. When you take delight or rejoice in someone, it presupposes that you know some things about him/her and that you know him/her. It is what you know of the person that makes you want to take delight in him/her.


So, who is the LORD? Do you know Him? Example:

He is our Father and God,
He is loving and kind,
He is faithful to all His promises,
He is the Deliverer and Protector,
He heals us from our diseases-Healer,
He cares for us-Provider,
and many more!

If we recall such things about our LORD and Father, then rejoicing in Him becomes purposeful and much easier. Then we can bring our minds, hearts and bodies into focus in expressing our enjoyment of Him.

I say it again, Rejoice in the LORD! Philippians 4:4

Lady Akofa

No comments: