Sunday 31 May 2009

Book review: Fasting for Spiritual Breakthrough


Fasting for Spiritual Breakthrough: A Guide to Nine Biblical Fasts by Elmer L. Towns, Regal Books, CA, US; 1996

I repeat my disclaimer: I’m not an expert in fasting and I think I would pass away if I ever tried Moses and Jesus’ 40-day fast. Leave it to the fast-perts!

I’ve read several books on prayer and fasting, most of them borrowed from friends. I was searching for something new and different sometime last year and I found Elmer L. Towns’ book at the bookshop. I’m glad I bought it even though I’d never heard of Elmer Towns at that time.

Towns gives several definitions of fasting, with insightful historical backgrounds to fasts. Based on Isaiah 58 he classifies fasts using 9 biblical characters and their aims for going on a fast. So there is the Saint Paul fast for major decisions, the Widow’s Fast for helping the needy, etc. This categorization was refreshingly new to me.
At the end of each fast chapter, Towns gives helpful guidelines to steer the reader to make definite decisions and take purposeful notes. This has been useful for me, although I must say that I still have a looong way to go.

I know this is such a brief book review... but that's the point. To get you to buy or borrow and read the book! :)

I highly recommend reading Towns’ Fasting for Spiritual Breakthrough: A Guide to Nine Biblical Fasts, if you’re seeking to enrich your experience in this discipline of grace.


Now I leave you with a quote from the book:

“If you say you will fast when God lays it on me, you will never fast. You’re too cold and indifferent. Take the yoke upon you.” –Dwight L. Moody ----Page 212.


God bless ya,
Lady Akofa.

Note: I hope to answer Stephanie's question in my next post.

No comments: