Monday 25 May 2009

I thought I was done….

….but I’m not done with my mango blog series yet. Can you stomach just one more post about mangoes, pleeeeeaase? Imagine a BIG, cheesy, toothy, molar to molar smile from Mango lady. :)

After lamenting on the slow mango season, which is so, well this weekend, 3 mango trees decided to go on a speedy ripening session over the weekend. Talk about overflow. I spent Saturday morning and afternoon distributing mangoes to friends, only to come back to see that more had dropped on the ground, waiting to be picked up. Neighbourhood people came knocking asking for mangoes. We are only happy to give them away.

See this full bucket…



... and there was another one too.

At church on Sunday, one of our teen neighbours delightedly thanked me for the mangoes… she said she ate 6 at a sitting. Knowing that there were several children in her household, I packed lots for them. I remember, one of her little brothers badgered me a few weeks ago, asking if he could get ripe mangoes. So it was a pleasure to knock on their door late Saturday morning with a basket full of mangoes. I can only imagine the sheer delight when they saw the fruits after I left. My pleasure!

My mom’s lunch after Sunday church service, yesterday consisted of this… tea and two slices of toasted bread. No big deal, it's normal for my mom to eat light after church service. But desert? A bowl full of mangoes. I laughingly told her that it seemed her desert was more than her lunch. Sometimes, just mangoes is supper for me and my mother. The other members of the house do like mangoes but they are not as passionate about them as my mom and I, I think.

Talk about Mango Fever!

I’m hoping to blog next about refraining from food, including mangoes. … Sssssh… Gasp! How can I ever part with mangoes when they are in season?

Up with Mango Flu, not down with Swine Flu,
Lady Akofa. : )

Note: I’m not promising that I’m done with the Mango blog series; there might be more stories to tell sometime soon. Sorry, but… ahem… but… I do looove mangoes, so bear with me!

3 comments:

wisewit said...

You don't need to apologize! We've been enjoying your mango stories. I loved the green mango story and showed it to my mom. She loved it, too, and showed it to my dad. He like it pretty well, so they decided to send a copy to my little sister.

Part of the reason we like the story is that it made us think of the time when we were living in Spain. In the house we were renting, there was a fig tree in the front yard right next to the wall, with some of the branches hanging over on the outside. Now, people in Spain love figs just as much as people in Ghana seem to love mangoes, and the tree branches were fairly low and easy to reach, so the place in front of our house was very popular when the figs were ripe!

wisewit

Stephanie said...

I bought mangoes at the grocery store yesterday - I think all this mango talk gave me a craving!

ladyakofa said...

Wisewit, I do hope you get some figs wherever you are now.

Ooops, Stephanie! :) I hope you enjoyed them.