Tuesday 20 December 2011

Of my favourite Christmas carols

I have always loved Christmas carols; both listening and singing to them.

If you ask what my favourite Christmas song is, I doubt I’d be able to pin point a single one. I tried listing my favourite 5 on my facebook page and then remembered all the others that I love but didn’t list, haha!

In my childhood days, I listened to whatever carol was available and eagerly learnt those taught in our singing class at school. We had really good music teacher, Mr. Okine, who was passionate about each group (tenor, soprano, bass and alto) getting it right and on the beat. He had a bamboo cane with a cock head shaped tip to ensure that, haha! I remember Mr. Okine teaching us, “The Holly and the Ivy” and “In the Bleak Midwinter,” although most of us hadn’t seen snow before at that time in our lives, haha! May his soul rest in peace.

I remember often listening to Boney M.’s in one of my next door neighbour’s house when I went to play with them during this season. I often associate, Boney M.’s “Feliz Navidad,” and “Mary’s Boy Child/Oh my Lord,” with this family. Today, Boney M.'s Christmas carols are heard all over town.

At home, my dad often played Christmas country music; both the ‘blueish’ ones and the upbeat ones like, “Jingle Bells.”

And then when I got to secondary school, I joined the school choir and was part of the annual tradition in which we hosted the Nine Lessons and Carols Service for our school and for the alumni. To learn to sing Handel’s “Messiah,” was a heavenly experience.

Now, I’m more interested in the word content of the carols; those that speak of the advent of the Messiah, of waiting for His coming, of his Light and of His coming deliverance and of the establishment of His Kingdom. This is partly because of my own personal need and partly because I long to see God’s kingdom established in my family. We are beginning to see relatives give their lives to the LORD in recent years and I’m more than thrilled at what God is doing.

Also, ever since I took my first 90 day Bible reading challenge and followed the account of God’s chosen people and how non-Jewish have been called to be a part in our day, I’ve always looked forward to the day that Heaven (the New Kingdom) will be a reality. I was so enthralled by the temple design of Solomon’s day that by the time I got to Matthew in my reading challenge, I kept asking, “Ah! So where is the Kingdom? Where are God’s people – the 12 tribes?” Oh, blessed that John the Baptist came preaching the coming of the One, who would establish the Kingdom: Jesus Christ.

So in this season of my life, I will say, “O come, o come Emmanuel,” and “O Holy Night” are my favourite Christmas carols. I do more of quiet meditation on the words than sing them. And that has been meaningful to me. Some hymns books list all 8 stanzas, others 6, and some others 4 but I share the stanzas in no particular order from, “O come, o come Emmanuel,” that resonate with me:

O come, Thou Rod of Jesse, free
Thine own from Satan’s tyranny;
From depths of hell Thy people save,
And give them victory over the grave.

Refrain: Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Day-spring, come and cheer
Our spirits by Thine advent here;
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night,
And death’s dark shadows put to flight.

Refrain: Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Key of David, come,
And open wide our heavenly home;
Make safe the way that leads on high,
And close the path to misery.

Refrain: Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.

Perhaps, next year or in 5 years, I might tell you of my new favourite Christmas song.

Have a Merry and Cheery Christmas!
Lady Akofa.

No comments: