Tuesday 8 July 2008

Mid-year Ramblings of Gratitude

By reflecting on my life and half-year happenings, I’m overwhelmed by the love, goodness, faithfulness and mercies of God. In all sincerity, I don’t know where I’d be without my God and Father in heaven. It was fitting to have our Praise Service the first Sunday in July at church. And my, did I dance to the glory of God.

There is so much to be thankful to God for - from the daily provision of basic life needs for myself and family, to the safe journeys of my constantly traveling family members and to the birth of first sons by treasured friends whom I call sisters. I’m also grateful to God for the great deliverance He has given me. It’s amazing the freedom that God gives and how He’s able to sustain this freedom in Christ. For answering many little, un-uttered, heartfelt prayers beyond my imaginations and expectations. I am so thankful to God.

At the beginning of this year, a former work colleague told me that 2008 was a year of overflow for him. Thus he wasn’t going to fast this year but rather feast on the overflowing harvest from 2007. True to his word, he made a personal party out of his lunch hours that it awed my former work colleagues and I.

I responded that for me, this is not year of feasting but a year of soul-searching, of fasting, of breaking strongholds of the enemy in my life and of new beginnings.

One new thing has been the swift transition to a new job which I started in February this year. I remember in mid 2007 I was in dire need of direction about a job change. I didn’t know from where and when this change would come. I remember wondering why all the doors were closed every time I put in an application at that time.

Yet, I felt God impress it on my heart that I should wait on Him for this change I was desirous of. I clung to the Psalms, esp. 62, 37, 121 and Proverbs 3:5-6. The primordial hymns, “Great is thy Faithfulness,” and “Oh God, our help in ages past,” were constantly played in my inner heart. Those blessed words birthed a hope of a future that I could not see with my physical eyes but believed would assuredly be mine because of the One I decided to look to in obedience to His instruction. And when He finally did open the door early this year… it was such a speedy thing that I find it mind boggling.

I can recount what He has done but I know I won’t be able to finish telling stories upon stories upon stories. The testimonies of God can not been squeezed into a blog post… Besides would you have time to read them all? There will be more opportunities to share of God’s power and love on earth here, some on this blog, others face-to-face, etc…. and when the time is ripe, in a book!

Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

Lyrics by Johnston Oatman Jr.

No comments: