Thursday 3 July 2008

Of Careers and Callings: My experience so far


If you had asked me what I wanted to be in the future, when I was about 5 or 6 years old, I would have told you that I wanted to be one of these three, depending on the mood I was in: an engineer, a doctor, or a lawyer. I knew what went into being a lawyer at that age and a doctor, considering that I fell sick so often in my childhood, but I didn’t have a faintest idea what engineers did. All I knew was that it seemed that these three professions were the ‘right’ careers to mention to an older person and your peers as your future career pursuits.

At ten years, I wanted so much to be a French teacher because I enjoyed being in the home of my best friend and her brothers, sitting at the feet of a French teacher, Monsieur Nuru, after school. He taught us fancy songs, rhythmic poems that got me hooked to the notion that being a French teacher might be just the right calling after all.

By the time I was preparing to get into senior secondary school, I was ready to go back to being a doctor and so I took my studies in Science seriously. I remember participating in Science class discussions with such eagerness that I earned a nickname. For some reason - and only now do I see it as a prudent enquiry on behalf of his daughter- my father sought the counsel of my late head master on whether it was advisable for me to pursue Science as an elective in secondary school considering my grades so far. I had missed my first year of junior secondary school by spending a year abroad too. The verdict? It would be prudent to study General Arts that was geared towards the Humanities in the University. And my, I was crushed. But not crushed enough not to try to prove that I could improve my grades for this medical doctor pursuit.

After working for three years in the market place, since completing graduate school, I still don’t know what I want to be in the future.


Whaaaaaaaat? Did I read you correctly? Or this is some typo error?


To be continued...

Read part 2 here.

No comments: