Tuesday 2 September 2008

Honouring your parent(s) as a teen or young adult 2

Perhaps, I have never considered the essence of this charge or fully comprehended the word, “honour,” until recently. Maybe you haven’t too. There are several dictionary definitions and I’m selecting only those relevant to this discussion.

Honour- great respect and admiration for somebody

Honour (pertaining to moral behaviour)-the quality of knowing and doing what is morally right, e.g. “a man of honour.”

Great respect. Admiration. For somebody…. Your parent. My parent. We could and should give thought to what we’ve always admired about them.


Is it possible to respect my parent even when I disagree with their opinion? I think so.

Could I and my parent respectfully disagree on an issue when our perspectives differ? I think so.

Is it possible to obey my parent even when I don’t understand the given instruction or why it’s necessary for me to do it? I think so.


Obeying and honouring our parents is a daily choice. Even when we think we know better because of the advances of our technology-filled and fast-paced world. They have more life experience, than we do and are much wiser beyond our years. How would you feel as a young person if a lil’ sibling of say, 3 years impertinently asked to ride your bicycle instead of his/her tricycle? You and I know what the consequences might be, don’t ya?

Paul reminded the Ephesians, see 6:1-3, that this was the first command with a promise. Wouldn’t you do what is required of you if there was a promise of good attached to it? What is the sure promise then? God promises that it may go well with us and that we may live long on earth. I want to live a good, long life for sure; I wouldn’t have it any other way!

Note: As to godly young people who die prematurely, though they kept God’s Word, I honestly don’t have an answer. God is Sovereign. He gives and takes life. But for the majority of us who chose to obey this command and all of His Word, we’ll live long and good. I believe so.

Read Part 1 here

To be continued...

No comments: