Friday 5 September 2008

Let's Pretend

I’ve never blogged about politics. It’s always a touchy issue, but I’m gonna have fun with it today, ok? I’ve sought to know nothing about the upcoming presidential elections in the US, ‘cos Ghana will also go to polls exactly a month after the Americans do. The Gold-land people have more than enough headaches to deal with, don’t we Ghana people? I’ve been defiantly saying, “I don’t care what Obama or McCain says or does,” but… I’ve been roped in somehow by the ubiquitous internet headlines; “Obama says this,” or “McCain says that.” Now the Sarah Palin & family issue makes it all the more interesting, huh? So let’s pretend that I were an African-American, eh? You know how to play the game, “Pretend,” right?


If I were an American, who would I vote for?

Obama or McCain?

I don’t know!


It’s nice that for once, an African-American is making history in the 21st century

I could vote for you simply on the basis of colour

But…

I’m not pro-choice when it comes to abortion

I won’t be party to killing innocent unborn, be it wanted or unwanted, abnormal or fit

I’ll not flout God-given biology in support of same sex unions

It’s gross, gross, gross



It’s nice to have a female running mate for once in American history

I could vote for you simply on the basis of femininity

But…

I’m just wondering how you will cope with family life while you’re out there in the front lines,

Receiving direct arrow shots from the international community?

Are you trying to trip me up with your pro-life birth choices?

Yes, I know you chose your last child over abortion, so does your teenage daughter


If I were an American, this is what I would do

I might choose not to vote at all

Or vote for one of them

Only that I don’t know who to vote for.


Remember this is a pretend game, so my opinions of American politics matters not. Besides it’s the vote that counts. And I’m going to vote for my next Ghanaian president, not an American president. It’s not a promise, but I might write a post of Ghana politics from my perspective sometime later or never.

3 comments:

Michelle Therese said...

Your opinions on Americn politics deffinately matters because my country, America, has a very powerful influence in the world! Sometimes that influence is welcome, and at other times it is not.

I'm an American and as such I can vote on the next president and let me tell you... it is nearly impossible to decide on either Obama or McCain. This is because I base my support on who is or is not in violation of the Law of God ~ not gender or race or religion. And as you can see, neither candidate is 100% in line with God. Obama is the most out of line with God with his support of abortion which is really a shame!

But should Abortion be an issue that is dealt with by the President of the United States, a Democratic country? I've always wondered, aren't "We the people" of the United States, we ~ the voters ~ supposed to be the ones that take care of these issues through our votes and our lower government officials like Senators and Congressmen? Shouldn't the President be focused on the economy and national security? Since when did it become the President's job to do the work of the American Citizens?

I always thought that it was the American people, not the President, who took care of our own country by voting for or against things that later become law. And so I see the political campains of those who are running for president to be very distracting as they get tied up in issues that the President should not be trying to solve on his or her own!

Maybe I just don't understand the political workings of my own country? **Scratching Head** Life has become so confusing...

ladyakofa said...

Hahaha! Coffee Catholic lady, food for thought! :)LOL!

Best,
Lady Akofa.

Tanya said...

Hey, Lady! THANK YOU for stopping by my blog! And thanks for these thoughts. I haven't a clue who I'll vote for come November. Your thoughts echo my own, well, except that I'm not African or African-American, but I love the thought of our country electing it's first African-American. That alone is a triumph for our country and our people considering our ugly past. We have much to overcome. But I cannot agree with much that Sen. Obama asserts. Oh, politics ... Our governments and our politicians could use daily prayer baths. May they too sing "Be Thou My Vision." :)