Friday 19 December 2008

"Where is my Christmas present?"

"Where is my Christmas present?"

That's a question I hate sooooooooooooooo much!

Ever since childhood I've heard this question countless times, often from people that are not close friends, distant family members that I hardly know and simply put, strangers. It seems to me that the people that I don't have a relationship with expect me to give them something. It's usually said in a joking manner but it irks me. Sorry, I hardly know you and I wasn't thinking about you, goes my un-uttered thoughts. I don't mean you, my blog readers. : )

A few hours ago I dropped off a Christmas card to an much older woman at her workplace. I handed the card over to the receptionist, whom I have never met before. He took the card and said, "Where is mine?" I'm told I can be too blunt sometimes - and I'm working on being gracious in my speech- but I couldn't help but say, "But I don't know you," and smile.

It's different when out of the goodness of my heart I decide to bless a stranger or somebody I hardly know during Christmas or some other occasion or whenever. Or when God leads me to give to another. However, being cohered to give a present because a person demands it... that's not quite right.

So these days I respond something like this, "Well, you're asking me for your Christmas present, do you have something for me?" Rude? I don't know, but I won't be forced to give uncheerfully. :) The truth is, the very people who ask such questions don't have a present for me. And I'm not asking for anything, really. I'm well taken care of, more than I can ask for, thank you. I ask them this to draw their attention to the "me-demand" attitude that's really not fun.

There is also this tradition where Christmas boxes are placed in shops and salons for customers to put something in. It's never said where the money is going. Is it for charity? Or for some well-meaning cause? I've never asked. Maybe I should ask the next time I see one in a shop which I'm headed for over the weekend.

Note that I'm not advocating the "you give me then I give you" culture of gift giving. Far from it. I don't know why Christmas has become a 'must' give a present or must receive a present thing. The focus should be on the real gift to us from God=Jesus Christ.

I'm just wondering whether this 'joke' is said/played in other African countries or it's just Ghana? Apart from the United States, I've never spent Christmas in any other country and never heard that while I was in the US. Will somebody help me out? Hit the comment button and share your thoughts.

Am I going to give gifts this Christmas season? You bet I am. And to people I hardly know. In fact, it's my intention to do so that this year. Surprise them when they least expect it. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

lady Akofa, I share your sentiments whole-heartedly except that I have no qualms about telling these funny people my piece of mind. Just this morning I told one of my colleagues who asked me for her 'x'mas parcel' something that i cannot repeat on your politically correct blog, and since there were other colleagues around,I know non of them is going to repeat the same mistake. So at least at work I am free from that irritating question for the rest of the season!

george

Stephanie said...

Hi Akofa, I haven't been around in a while so I've enjoyed reading. My blog has been a little neglected but I hope to get back to it sometime soon!

You know, I've had people say the "hey, where's my gift?" kind of thing before - jokingly, usually co-workers. I've always seen it as a joke so it hasn't bothered me. Maybe the people that asked you were being sarcastic about it though. Interesting. :)

ladyakofa said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, George and Stephanie.