Friday 9 January 2009

90 days-Solomon's wealth

I completed my bible reading challenge in 106 days instead of 90 days. I admit that at some point I rushed in a bid to beat the deadline. But that was unrealistic looking at the number of days I had missed. I’m glad that I was able to continue the challenge over the Christmas break because it was for me the least feast Christmas break I’ve ever had. Not because there was no food, but I chose to set a few days apart for the LORD. The day after I completed the challenge, I thought, “Oh, what a pity! No bible reading challenge anymore?” You know challenges can be invigorating. For now, yes, but I’ll certainly do it again. So I’ll be sharing a few thoughts that I noted during the bible reading over a few days on this blog.

I was awesomely struck by the description of Solomon’s wealth during the bible reading. From the descriptions, I wonder if today’s Forbes’ assessed rich men and women can match Solomon’s wealth of those days, 1 Kings 10:14-29.

Solomon was, as some people will say ‘filthy rich.’ But this was a blessing from God in answer to a request, not ill-gotten gains. Solomon was so rich that silver was a common thing, of little value. Every utensil (goblet) in his palace was made of gold. Can you imagine seeing that shiny yellow metal all over the palace? And what does the bible say of silver? We herald gold, bronze and silver in our Olympic games but silver was as common as stones in Solomon's day. Stones? Yep, like the ones you step on in the ground. His throne was overlaid with gold with 12 lions, 6 on each side leading up to his throne.

Even with his vast wealth, people brought gifts to him. And I believe he also gave gifts as well.

Just a miniature demonstration of our God, who owns everything. His streets are made of gold. What is so valued today in the estimation of our financial analysts, someday I’ll walk on it. So will you when we get there. Isn’t He amazing?

Awed by God’s wealth,
Lady Akofa.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

106 days? I admire you - I find it hard to have the diligence to complete the Bible even in a year!
I'm not following a specific plan, but I've started in Genesis again and I'm hoping to do a read through before the year is over, or in 6 months if I can!

Any tips for me? :)

ladyakofa said...

Hi Stephanie,

I think the thrill of during a short term challenge greatly motivated me and knowing that I had a shorter time as compared to a whole year. You might want to try that.

I've found that acting out the stories (esp. the OT) and reading aloud helped greatly in this 2nd round; to ward off heavy eyes at night. :)

I've also found it helpful not to do this challenge when I'm anticipating some major life activity or change. Like moving house, traveling (which I did) or organizing an big event, etc during the time I plan to do the challenge.

Hope this helps! I'd greatly encourage it.