Monday 5 January 2009

Happy New Year!- A mixed bag of thots

Afiehyia pa!*

Afi yi nk ne afi pa bɛ to yɛn!**

Ghana has a new president, John Evans Atta Mills (Prof), after 2 rounds of elections, with his major opponent closely tailing him. The elections were not without some minor skirmishes here and there but all ends well. The date set for his swearing in is 7th January, 2009. I pray that he will be able to faithfully serve the people and lead with divine wisdom during his term of office.

Last year was the most challenging so far. Spiritually. And we all know that the spiritual has a profound effect on the physical, right? I can only say it's been by God's grace that I've gotten this far. It reached a point that I had to step back and pause. It seems I really didn't know how to pray. Thus it became a constant prayer, "LORD, teach me how to pray." There were other challenges of course, but this is how I'll describe 2008.

I really appreciate the wisdom of God when our new pastor preached on Isaiah 40:31 at our watch night service. Those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength. It was a confirmation of my end of year/new year convictions after my spiritual challenges of 2008.

I also appreciate God's power and loving-kindness on New Year's day. It rained with peals of thunder, although we are in the dry season! It seemed God was saying, "My daughter, this is just a foretaste of my power. In the days ahead, I'll show you even more and you'll be awed. Then you shall give Me the glory due Me." I couldn't help but think, "Double blessings. Showers on New Year's day! I can't wait to see the all goods things God has in store for me, my family, my country and the world at large!" Aaah, how I love rain....

I've purposely not drawn up any new year resolutions. I seem to always fail at them anyway. :) Really, apart from my already existing commitment to love God passionately, to be faithful in prayer and personal study of His Word, to serve God faithfully and gladly through my job, family and ministries I'm involved in at church, I simply have no new year resolutions. All that I failed to do or wasn't consistent in doing last year, I'll seek to do this year, God willing. There is no point in getting worked up over new things while old things have been left undone. I'd like to live simply, focusing on the few things that matter most to me.

For some reason, these words from a song have stuck with me since last December. I've never had a personal theme for the year before, but I think this will be it:

Great things He has done, GREATER THINGS HE WILL DO.

Please read 1 Corinthians 2:9 and Isaiah 64:4 to understand why I know that God will do greater things in 2009. As already mentioned our watch night exhortation was on Isaiah 40:31, coupled with my personal convictions make me so excited for this year.

I wish all my readers nothing less than God's VERY BEST in 2009. May God equip you with everything good for pleasing Him and doing His will (Hebrews 13:20-21) through Christ Jesus and His Spirit.

God bless ya,
Lady Akofa.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Literal Translation from Akan to English:

*A good year meets you! or Happy New Year!

**This year should go and a good year should meet us!


1 comment:

Stephanie said...

MANY blessings to you in this new year, Akofa! :)