Friday 6 February 2009

Getting Freaked out by God

I missed real Christian fellowship while I was in Egypt for a work-related trip for about 2 weeks. So I was pretty excited to be back home in Ghana and particularly in church last Sunday, 1st Feb. Somehow God decided to freak me out on my return! Alrigh-dee, not it a negative way but you read on and see why.

During the service, just at the beginning of worship fleeting, potentially distracting and depressing thoughts came to mind. They weren’t things I wanted to think about because I was all geared up for corporate worship after missing two services. With the help of the Holy Spirit, I redirected my thoughts as the congregation worshipped God. At the end of the worship session I watched the worship leader for a signal so the congregation would sit down but she was silent and stood still as if she was waiting for something to happen. I somehow knew a rhema word was coming.

Suddenly a woman at the back of the church started speaking and I strained my ears to hear, only to realize that she was speaking in tongues. Tada! “There had better be an interpretation, Papa God! Nobody understood that,” 1 Corinthians 14.

And our God good knows what he doing… He doesn’t need me, Akofa, the clay to tell Him, the potter, what to do. The worship leader who had earlier paused translated the strange language in English. Although I didn’t get the 1st few words, the part that I heard was enough for me,

“…I am the God of all flesh,
Is anything too hard for me?”

You see, those earlier thoughts questioned God’s ability and revealed my fickle trust in Him, “Ooooh, God if only You’d do such and such. It seems Big and Impossible to me now, but if only You’d intervene.”

So a new day comes and it’s Monday 2nd February. I got to work and while checking my e-mails, I saw a familiar weekly newsletter from Life Coach, Valorie Burton, with the title, "It's not too hard!" Curious, I opened it. In this edition, she talked about her own experience of asking God for humanly impossible but divinely possible things and encouraged her readers to step out of their comfort zones and believe God for such. I read on and she had quoted the very Word that we received in church the previous day citing the Scripture reference as well- Jeremiah 32:26-27.

I almost freaked out! I had been frantically looking for the Scripture reference Sunday night to no avail. Although I was close, I just couldn’t find it. So here is Valorie’s newsletter with what I need. God must be up to something, I said to myself.

Then late Monday afternoon, I’m reading a lady’s God-glorifying testimony on the internet and one of God’s words to her during a trying, baffling period in her life was , guess... you already know it- Jer. 32: 26-27!

And this time, I freaked out! Yes but in a comforting way. God is really up to something and I’ve got to pay attention! Three times within 2 days? On top of it, God and I have a thing about the number 3. My birth date is a third and was born on the 3rd day of the week, if Sunday is considered the 1st. God has also done some cute, interesting things using the number 3 in my life. And by the way, He is 3 in One, right?

Okay-dokey, enough about me. Do you have a far-fetched dream that seem an impossible reality? Are you willing to stretch your faith and bank your hope on God, His Word and Power to do it? Take those baby steps now in honest prayer about your fears, inadequacies (He’s gonna do it not you!) and all. You might want to read the entire Jeremiah 32 to understand the contextual basis for which God made that statement. God is much Bigger than we have made Him out to be.


Don’t get freaked out like I was! :)
God bless ya!
Lady Akofa.



No comments: