Friday 20 January 2012

Jobs, Lessons & Gratefulness


I haven’t worked long in the professional world. 6 years is not long or is it? As I move on to a new job this month, I’ve been reflecting on my career experiences and the lessons I have learnt since I started working. And guess what? I feel so blessed!

My new boss asked me during the interview, “What do you value in a work place?” I hadn’t really thought of it but somehow I had a ready answer, “Following laid down principles, working to meet expressed expectations and good work relationships.” Indeed, when a said expectation is not met or work ethics are not followed, it mars work relationships. However, being the peacemaker that I am, I’ll mostly take the initiative to work things out and bring back peace. I can take confrontations much better and I’m more assertive than I was, 5 years ago.

I remember a boss who mildly expressed his displeasure by shooing me away with a few words when I brought him my first document for perusal. Silly me! Didn’t I know to put the document in a file before handing it over to him? Then, I didn’t know. Now, I know, haha!

I also remember a “baptism of fire” that each employee went through in at least one project that he/she handled. Those are not my words, my former boss teasingly said those words to me; he knew I was really stressed out. No ill feelings towards him, I laughed at myself too in those miserable moments! Indeed, I went through the fire and rest assured, I survived intact with no burns (Isaiah 43:2).

There were work relationships in which a person’s action or attitude got me angry but I couldn’t express it or wouldn’t because I didn’t think it was necessary. Sometimes, it was because I was stuck with the person anyway (like one stuck with a spouse’s stubborn quirk), so I’d find a nice way of getting my assignment done through this person. I learnt to channel my anger and frustrations towards God, asking Him to come through for me. I have prayer journals to prove this. Writing my thoughts to God helped me processed my feelings and also created an avenue for God’s power to move in difficult situations and for His comfort and peace to calm my heart. And God did some pretty awesome things. At a farewell party in one workplace, one guy remarked, “I’ve never seen Akofa angry before or fight with anybody in this place. She should tell us how she does it.” Oh my, if only he knew!

I remember having to submit to a colleague who was the next to my boss. I was confronted with my insecurities and inadequacies because I wasn’t sure how to relate with this person. I brought it before God and this is what God gave me:

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
1 Peter 5:6 & 7 (NIV)

I also remember God leading me to sow into this person’s life by presenting a sacrificial gift. Oh, how I laboured over the gesture! I didn’t know how it would be received. It will surprise you to know that my perspective changed and we got on well together. We both have left the same company yet we still in touch base with each other from time to time.

I remember quietly observing colleagues who were more focused and diligent than I was. They inspired me to do better because I could see the rewards of their efforts by the results they got.

Each workplace hold special memories for me and each person I met on the job has enriched my life in some way. And it includes those who didn’t wish me well because I learnt lessons through those unpleasant situations. I learnt to commit work relationships and work projects to God and got closer to God through those experiences.

As I’ve gotten to know people through each workplace, I often like to keep relationships long term as much as possible, but that’s often not the case. And that’s okay. I’m just grateful for the opportunity to use to my skills, training and talents to bless others through my work.

You may say to yourself, “My power and the strength of my hands have produced wealth for me.” But remember the LORD your God, for it is He who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms His covenant, which he swore to your forefathers, as it is today.
Deuteronomy 8:17 & 18 (NIV)

May the favor of the LORD our God rest upon us;
Establish the work of our hands for us-
yes, establish the work of our hands.
Psalm 90:17(NIV)


May God bless the work of your hands today!
Lady Akofa.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

“I’ve never seen Akofa angry before or fight with anybody in this place. She should tell us how she does it.”

That's what happens when you are controlled by the Holy Spirit (Gal. 5:22). You are able to live beyond the inabilities of the flesh. The expected or the natural is to get angry or fight someone when you're seriously offended, but you are able to let go when you are controlled by the Holy Spirit. God bless you, Akofa.

ladyakofa said...

Thanks Michael!

It's a journey and I pray that the Holy Spirit keeps me going day by day.

Blessings!
Akofa.