Saturday 15 November 2008

90 days - The Priests' work is bloooooody!

This is an old note, scribbled several weeks ago while reading Leviticus and Deuteronomy.

The work of the priest, Levites is tedious and excuse me to say, blooooody. Suffice it to say, priestly duties aren't for the fainthearted. I can't imagine having to see blood and flesh every single day, the smoke, fire and make extra sacrifices on ceremonial days but that is the job of the priest of old. Yet, it was God who chose Aaron and his sons and the descedants of Levi to carry out priestly duties. They were the only ones who could perform certain duties and touch certain ministerial articles.

In our day, Jesus Christ has graciously done this bloody work for us... me, once and for all in 2 ways:

One: He is the High Priest. Not just that, but the High Priest for all time. This is the covenant that will never change, Hebrews 7:11-24.

Two: He Himself is the sacrifice, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the whole world, Hebrews 9:11-22.

Wondering what it would be like to be a priest in Moses' day, yet grateful to be under the awesome New Covenant.

Blogging from Cape Town
& grateful that the sun is out!
Lady Akofa.

1 comment:

nmetzler said...

{I found your blog through YLCF}

My husband and I are reading Exodus right now and are just getting to the bloodiness of the sacrifices.
I have to say... I agree. I am so thankful to be under the new covenant!