Thursday 13 November 2008

90 days-Yeah, cut these unfaithful brats off!

I don’t know what you think of Moses but I think he was one loooooooong suf-fe-ring leader.

Now you lead these multitudes of people through a hot, scorching desert and a time comes that you have to leave them for a while. You go up the mountain and leave them with your brother, Aaron, in order to seek God’s face on their behalf

God hurriedly sends you back down the mountain after many days because something grievous has happened. So you go down and the people are bowing down to a golden calf saying, “This is our god who brought us from Egypt!”

Huh? A calf made of gold delivered Israel from Egypt?

God was ready to destroy all the Israelites for their unfaithfulness and blasphemy. He was even prepared to start a new Kingdom through Moses. Now if you were Moses what you say? Just think about it for a moment, Exodus 32.

I’ll tell you what I’d say, “Yeah God, these unfaithful brats! After all the hustle and bustle they’ve put You and me through? You cut these insolent brats off and start with me and my family. That's what they should get for such wickedness!”

But Moses pleaded with God, appealing to His faithfulness, to His own Word and asking God to honour His Name because of His enemies, the Egyptians. Moses was a great intercessor, indeed.

Now that's where I need to be merciful and gracious to others when they go wrong. Not that I have everything going for myself either. Far from it... I sin, sin and sin too and fight sin everyday. That's why I have Jesus Christ, not Moses, as my Mediator, the One who speaks on my behalf.


No comments: