Tuesday 11 November 2008

My self-imposed 90 day challenge

My 90 bible reading is on. I'll be sharing a few thoughts now and then, as long as I'm able to write. Now, I'm giving myself 2 self-imposed tasks by sharing this online. BUT with a purpose... accountability.


1. That I continue reading and complete reading my bible by the time I stipulate... read on and you'll see.


2. That I don't just read for the sake of reading and beating time, but I actually do reflect on God's Word and take some notes, even if they are random.


As compared to the first time I took up this challenge, my reading has been much livelier, interspersed with reading aloud, silent reading and acting out the reading. Yes, if you were to catch me in my home those times you’d wonder what crazy monologue I was doing. The Old Testament has a lot of stories to act our for sure. There were times, however, when I caught myself sleeping while reading the bible, after a hard day’s work. : )


I was profoundly blessed with the presence of God as I read Leviticus and Deuteronomy. While I was awed by God’s high standard for holiness for His own treasured people, I was greatly disturbed by own sin of idolatry, short-sightedness and how quickly I forget God’s love and goodness as He specifically and repeatedly warned (Deuteronomy 6 to 9). I was also impressed by God’s concern for the future generations requiring parents to teach their children about Him and pass on the legacy of what He had done for Israel.


I’m not always able to read on schedule so there are days I read ahead or read to catch up somewhat. Other times I skipped a book or more to read one of the minor or major prophets because I didn’t want to loose momentum of their prophetic messages as they corresponded with the Kings or Chronicles. It flowed better for me than reading Ezra immediately after 2 Chronicles, the return of the exiles. This is not to say that the bibles scholars didn’t do their work well. : ) The fallout however, is that I’m not able to gauge accurately whether I’m on track or not.


Presently, I’m really behind schedule as I'm on a work-related trip to South Africa for 2 weeks. In my original schedule, I should be done two days before Christmas. I'd love to be able to catch up and do this b'4 the famous 3 Fs: Famly, Friends and Food that come with the season. :) If not, I figure by New Year, I should be done. I certainly don't want to carry this over to 2009! But then, it’s more about embracing God through my reading than rigidly following the schedules.

















Cape Town beach from Monkey Valley view, cloudy

& too cold for this tropical-bred lady, who didn't

listen to His Majesty's warning to bring warm clothes.



Praying that God will let the sun

shine in His mercy so that I truly enjoy the SA summer,

Lady Akofa.

No comments: